Welcome to the Old Windmill, the workshop of South Wind Subs.
Here you can read who we are, what we do, and how to join!
South Wind Subs is a fansub group subbing classic anime. It was founded in 2016 and our mascot is a blue dragonfly. The group name was inspired by a character in our first project.
We are nostalgic people who love the old hand-drawn anime. Alas, these are not released in many a country outside Japan.
Our group aims to create fan-made subtitles for these anime.
We do not get paid and share our subs with fans for free.
If your country has an official release, please buy it and support the industry.
Anyone may use our subs as basis for other language releases.
However, we ask you: do not re-do/encode/release our subs.
Please respect the time and effort we put into the projects.
If you think you can improve our work, please contact us.
Below, an overview of the common fansub creation process.
Our group prefers to make timing before translation.
Until now we’ve used encoded video from web, and merged these.
In the future, we hope to make quality rip/encodes ourselves.
1. RAW provider: rips, captures or hunts for video
2. Translator: TL from JP/other language script or audio
3. TLC: Translation Check checks for misinterpretations
4. Editor: corrects grammar, determines word choice
5. Timer: times the subs so they match action on screen
6. Typesetter: styles text, determines placing, karaoke
7. Encoder: combines video, scripts and font
8. QC: Quality Control checks final release for errors
9. Distro: Distribution puts it out to the fans
People with real passion for classic anime who are willing to donate time and skills. Preferably, for at least a full project. Positive people who can help us improve & grow.
Currently, we need for Nell the Wandering Girl:
– Translators Japanese > English (or Italian > English)
– TLC Japanese > English
To make our own rips/encodes in the future:
– RAW provider/Encoder
To add these languages to our releases:
– Translators English > Romanian
– Translators English > Dutch
To make our website better, we are looking for:
– Artist to redraw* website mascot and images
Staff & Helpers
Kai – Co-Founder, All tasks
Peter (“JohnnyChuck”) – Co-Founder, All tasks, Webmaster
Cyber Zero – Translator (Silver Zero Subs)
Logan – Translator
Mónica – Translator
Lordwen – Translator